If you own a commercial property, you know that there is always something that needs to be done in order to maintain it. From the front door to the roof, everything needs to be taken care of in order to keep your property in good condition. One of the most important—and often forgotten—elements of commercial properties is the roof.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss why you shouldn’t neglect your commercial roof, what regular maintenance can do for you, and also go over the most common commercial roofing problems that you should be aware of when inspecting your commercial roof.
Why Neglecting Your Commercial Roof Is A Horrible Idea
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your property. It protects your building from the elements and keeps your occupants safe from the weather. That’s why it’s so important to keep up with regular maintenance when it comes to your commercial roof. While it may seem like a hassle, commercial roof maintenance is crucial to prolonging the life of your roof and keeping your property in good condition throughout the years.
Commercial roofs are subject to a lot of wear and tear. They are constantly exposed to the sun, wind, rain, and snow. Over time, these elements can cause damage to your roof. If left unchecked, this damage can lead to leaks, drafts, and eventually costly repairs or replacement. By regularly checking and repairing your roof, you can avoid these issues and extend the life of your roof.
In addition to protecting your property, regular maintenance can also save you money in the long run. By catching problems early on, you can avoid major repairs or replacement down the road. And if you do need repairs, they will likely be much less expensive than if you had waited until the damage was more severe.
Common Commercial Roofing Problems You Should Be Aware Of:
Commercial roofs are complex. They typically have multiple layers and components that can wear down over time. Here are some of the most common roofing problems you should look for during regular maintenance:
• Leaks: Water can accumulate in your roof if not addressed quickly, leading to costly damage. Inspect your roof regularly for any signs of leaking and repair it as soon as possible.
• Cracks and Blisters: If you find any cracks or blisters on your roof, be sure to have them inspected immediately. These can lead to further damage if not taken care of right away.
• Moss and Algae Growth: Moss and algae thrive in humid and wet environments. If left untreated, they can cause serious damage to your roof. It’s important to clean and inspect your roof regularly for moss growth.
• UV Damage: Sunlight can cause significant damage to a commercial roof if it is not properly protected. Make sure your roof is treated with a UV-resistant coating or paint that can help prevent damage.
• Animal Damage: Animals such as birds, squirrels, and raccoons can also cause significant damage to roofs. Make sure your roof is regularly inspected for any signs of animal interference.
• Damage from harsh weather: Rain, snow, and wind can cause extensive damage to your roof, so be sure to check for missing or damaged shingles or tiles.
• Debris buildup: Leaves and other debris can clog drainage systems, leading to water accumulation on your roof. Be sure to regularly clean out gutters and drains in order to avoid this issue.
• Poor ventilation: Proper ventilation is essential for keeping your roof healthy and preventing moisture build up. Check vents and insulation frequently to ensure they are in good condition.
• Cracking and splitting: Over time, your roof can start to crack and split, leading to leaks and other damage. Be sure to inspect for these issues regularly.
Regular maintenance is essential for keeping your commercial roof in top shape. From cleaning out debris to checking for cracks and splits, it’s important to be aware of the problems that can occur on a commercial roofing system so you can take action before they become major issues. Don’t forget—keeping up with regular maintenance can help prolong the life of your roof and save you money in the long run!